Saturday, June 30, 2018

Rimworld: The Great Chicken Cult, Part 2.5: ERROR ERROR ERROR

I hate to be the bearer of bad news regarding the Chicken Cult playthrough (even if nobody will read this), but I'll say it anyways: the 100+ mods I have for Rimworld have reached critical mass and rendered the save unloadable. On one hand, I had accepted that our inability to keep food preserved thanks to the Freezer of Doom being as hot and unbearable as the outdoors today (at the time of writing, of course). On the other hand, I did want to go back in and attempt to save the colony by having Scarlett and Willy start growing food, something I neglected for one reason or another.

In the end, mod incompatibilities and the permadeath mode I chose have forced me to end the playthrough prematurely. The sheer amount of mods have even made me unable to generate a new map to play on, which is why I will be resetting everything and heading into the unstable branch to take a sneak peak at 1.0 ahead of its inevitable release. As I mentioned last time, the Orassan and Ni'Hal mods have been updated so I don't get mod withdrawal, and there are a few other quality-of-life mods to look at. Never again will I gorge myself on so many mods, most of which I barely use anyways. I probably won't write a playthrough on this blog until the proper 1.0 release; this is just for me to start over and see what awesome new stuff is coming.

So what did happen to the Revenant Poultry Disciples? We'll never know for sure in actual gameplay terms, but here's what I think happened:

The Headcanon Ending

During the relative time and peace, the five colonists quickly realized they were in for a hard time, and packed up what they had and left Hell's Gate behind. Eventually, they followed the river to a temperate coast. There, they were able to rebuild and start growing food alongside what little meals and raw food remained from both the Freezer of Doom and their long trek through the mountains. From this new base, they were able to slowly recruit members thanks to Shadow's high social skills and spread their ways to their neighbors.

Years passed, and the Great Chicken Cult spread once more across Mirzam Al Saif, although the isolation of the bases and factions hampered the rate at which people and aliens could be won over. Once it did happen, though, the hundreds of disciples banded together in a concentrated effort to rid the planet of evil by killing the pesky pirates and forcing the local Ni'Hal purity brigades to realize the futility of their mass purging via forceful means. The original four lived just long enough to see their dreams become a reality; they died peacefully and were honored as the founders of a great new reality. By the time their pursuers from Ararobos V arrived over a century after their initial departure, they found the planet populated almost entirely by worshipers of poultry. Around that time, starships began leaving the planet to spread the ways of the chicken further, some even fitted with stolen Orassan wormhole modulators. The Age of the Chicken had begun...

(This may or may not be plausible; if anyone reads this, feel free to supply your own possible ending for the Revenant Poultry Disciples.)


Unfortunately, that's all I have without any ability to actually play the game. I'm actually quite sad this happened, since I wanted to use Scarlett's ability to grow food and potentially save the colony from mass famine. But I have wanted to check out 1.0, and the mass mod incompatibilities have given me a perfect excuse to do so. See you on the other side of the update!

No comments:

Post a Comment